Wrath of Oblivion
Umbra (Bolo Peatfingers)
Bleak Disciple Assassin Revanant (Halfling) Ability scores: Str 14 Con 20 Dex 21 Int 10 Wis 17 Cha 10 Skills: Acrobatics +10 Athletics +7 Perception +8 Stealth +11 Thievery +10 Feats: Dark Feasting
Powers: At-will: Executioner’s Noose, Shadow Storm, Assassin’s Shroud, Shadow Step Encounter: Dark Reaping, Shade Form, Smothering Shadow Daily: Targeted for Death
Equipment: Leather Armour, Broadsword, Crossbow (20 bolts), Dagger (5), Adventurer’s kit, Adventurer’ Clothes, Black Hooded Cloak, Black Ravens Skull Necklace.
note I wrote some of this from memory, so there could be some differences between this and my character sheet.
-1) Your character is asked to describe himself before a court filled with people s/he respects. Magic will reveal outright lies, but not subtle nuances of deceit. How would your character describe him/herself and how would s/he account for her life so far?
_He would say he is a prisoner serving his sentence. Waiting for the day he is released and he can rest. If they pressed him further he would say he is no longer who he was, and that person only matters to him and the Raven Queen. Now he is Umbra and he is trapped here until he completes her labors. Only then he will be able to rest. Then if they continued to interrogate him he would tell them of his former life, and the Raven Queen’s plan for him, as he believes it to be._
-0.5) Later that night you get totally hammered on Dwarven Wine and Elvish Ale (a bad combo). Completely bombed, how do you now answer question -1 to the bard you are drinking with who you’ll never see again after tonight?
hmm… well seeing as he’s Undead he probably wouldn’t be able to get drunk, but assuming this was right after he had completed one of his tasks for the Raven Queen and could enjoy drink (see question 3), he would probably start enthusiastically telling them about some adventure where he killed and robbed some rich nobleman then turn serious and tell how it negatively effected those around that person. Then go on to them he’s not against killing. Just make sure it’s not needless killing. Then go on and on about it until he passed out.
0) Of the common virtues like honesty, courage, loyalty, friendliness, intelligence, honor and the like, which ones does your character value highly in others? Which does s/he possess in spades? Which does s/he THINK s/he has, but really doesn’t? What qualities in a person will make you hate them?
_Well he’s not going to back down in the face of danger. for him dying only means 1 of two things. 1. he’s completed his work and can finally rest. 2. he’s not finished, and he will just be sent back. He sees anyone who kills without reason as foolish. The same goes for those who seek wealth for the for the sole purpose of acquiring more._
1) Could everyone make a character who is at least 25-30 years old (or older)? What did you do in that time? Were you training with knights? Working for a pirate? Enslaved to an evil necromancer (or good necromancer)? Provide some details and feel free to add to the world by making assumptions about just about anything – the more you give me to work with the richer your role playing experience is going to be and the more opportunities for your character to be in the spotlight!
_Bolo Peatfingers was over 60 years old when died. He was reborn as a Revanant 6 months later.
His first year back he attempted to start over again. Killing for fun and profit. Disregarding what he was told in the afterlife. But he soon found that food and drink had little flavor. Gold and gems did not seem to sparkle as they once did. The world seemed dull and flat.
In his second year back he traveled the lands searching for a “cure”. Eventually he came upon an ancient Druid living high in the mountains. The druid was part tree or bush. Some of his flesh resembled wood and bark, and he had leaves growing in his hair. The Druid spent many days examining Bolo trying to determine if there was a cure for his condition. All the while Bolo could hear a voice in the back of his mind. At first it was barely a whisper. Then it became louder and clearer. “The Raven’s List.” The voice repeated this over and over. At first he didn’t understand, but he soon figured it out. The Druid was to be the first on his list.
He killed the druid in his sleep. When the deed was done the stars seemed to twinkle brighter. The forest smelled… like a forest. The food he ate tasted good again. Water was cool and refreshing.
It was then that Bolo realized there was only one path that lay before him. The Raven’s list. So he took the name Umbra and returned to the world to complete his mission._
2) What happened to your family? Do you still have a mom & dad out there on a farm? Brothers and sisters?Describe your character’s voice. Would you say s/he speaks with formality? Casually? Does s/he have any favorite expressions/curses?
_Bolo’s family members are all back in Ebberon (as far as he knows). He had a large family. Mother, Father, several brothers and sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins. Officially they were Peat farmers. They owned many acres of land that was originally thought useless But turned to be somewhat valuable due to the peat. Unofficially they were a family of thieves, each bring back a portion of their profits to share with the family. Bolo died when he was 60+ (he lost track of time while he was with the illithids) so basically everyone older than Bolo would probably be dead now, and the ones that are still alive should be in Ebberon.
In (insert Allen’s world’s name) he had made many connections, acquaintances, enemies, etc. during his days as an assassin. Most were from the underworld of crime. He came to know a large number of Ilithids (for a halfling).
There were many inns he would stay at during his journeys. Ones that he enjoyed he would return to from time to time getting to know the owners, and they him, but only as Bolo the Halfling traveler. Not as Bolo the Hired assassin, thief, and adventurer.
Since his resurrection he has met several people from his former life. Some he had to kill in self defense, and some were killed in service to the Raven Queen. Others he left to their own devices. A few recognized him for who he was. It’s possible the news of his return has been passed on to others. Recently he met a Changling named Chlea who became his traveling companion, and later a friend. _
3) What is your character’s favorite food? Drink? What does the character hate?
_Food and drink have little meaning for him now. Everything is bland and flavorless. He only eats because he must (for now). The only time he actually enjoys food is for a few days after killing someone from the Raven’s list. _
4) Describe character’s first battle, first hunt, or first killing of another person. Try to make it as vivid as possible, including the character’s age, training and experience, plus details on the surroundings (weather, terrain, uniforms or clothing of self & others).
The Fist kill (since his resurrection) with any significance was the afore mentioned Druid. He never even knew his name.
5) Your character is the butt of a practical joke. Could your character see the humor in it? Would your character get even? Does getting even mean staging another practical joke, or something else?
In his former life practical jokes were a way of life. Now he probably wouldn’t play a practical joke on his own. He may participate in one though, as he still sees and appreciates the humor in one.
6) Your character is plagued by a recurring nightmare/dream. Describe the dream.
_The only out of the ordinary dreams he has are: Ones from the Raven Queen, or one of her servants, directing him to his next target. The effects his murders (from his former life) had on those around that person. _
7) Everybody has some little item that they regard as somehow sacred. A piece of clothing, a momento of some event, whatever. What is your character’s sacred item? Tell the story of how your character found it, or why it came to be important.
He has a small black ravens skull on a necklace. He woke up with it when he was resurrected. He tried throwing it away on several occasions, but always seemed to find it again in unexpected places. He believes it was given to him as a reminder of what his quest is.
8) Does your character sleep well? What kind of dreams does s/he have, if any?
9) To your character does revenge mean (1) “an eye for an eye” (2) “repayment with interest” (3) the only good enemy is a dead enemy or something else? Do you serve revenge hot, as soon as possible, or cold, awaiting a perfect place and time?
In his former life he was a very vengeful person. he would take days, weeks, months, and sometimes years formulating the perfect way to get back at someone. Now he has little use for revenge, though sometimes he will get caught up in the moment and revert to his former ways and do something cruel to a someone who has wronged him but usually nothing deadly.
10) You return to a comfortable inn that has housed you in cozy hospitality numerous times over the years. You find that the kindly family has just been threatened, beaten up and robbed. You track down the leader and capture him. What will you do now?
If there were a legitimate law official with in a reasonable distance he would try and subdue him/her and turn him/her over. If not. He would appoint himself judge, jury, and executioner. If the individual was on the Raven Queens list….
11) What would provoke you to kill a commoner?
_Two things that I can think of. 1. The commoner is between him and his goal and refuses to step aside, and then only after he couldn’t subdue him. 2. The commoner is on his “list” from the Raven Queen._
12) Do you fear/respect/love the gods? Which ones? Why?
_The only god that matters to him now is the Raven Queen. Though he wouldn’t disrespect any of the other gods unless they directly opposed the Raven Queen or her plans for him. _
13) What is your character’s biggest mistake/regret?
At this point… his choices of his past life that lead him here, but only because of his current punishment. This could change to real regret at some point in the future.
_Physical Description: Tall, Thin but muscled (not skinny), waist length black hair normally kept in a single long braid. Pale skin, sunken black eyes with red pupils. He is rarely seen without a shirt on but all over his torso is writing. To the untrained eye it appears to be a tattoo, but it’s not. The writing is the list of the names on the Raven’s List but they are in a language Bolo can’t read. Every time he sends back someone from the Raven Queen’s list that name disappears._